Badgers Celebrate Women’s History

Womens+History+Month+was+established+in+1981+by+President+Jimmy+Carter.+

Brooke Miller

Women’s History Month was established in 1981 by President Jimmy Carter.

Veronica Butler, Reporter

The month of March is Women’s History Month, with March 8 being International Women’s Day. In honor of this,  people have reflected on the women who have inspired them. 

“Despite growing up in the incredibly segregated South, Condoleeza Rice obtained her undergraduate, graduate and PHD and became a very astute and successful politician, advisor and professor,” world history teacher Shea Moyer said. 

Rice was the Secretary of State under George W. Bush.

“She could have easily allowed the circumstances of her youth to dictate her success and political views; however, she has always spoken from a logical, educated platform,” Moyer said.

Senior Jordan Plummer said that the woman she looks up to the most is her older sister, Samantha.

“Ever since I could walk, I’ve been awestricken by her and what she has been able to do with so little that has been given to her,” Plummer said. “It’s amazing how far she has come and how strong of a woman she is.”

Integrated physics and chemistry teacher Macey Siegert is influenced most by her mom, Stasha.

The more I travel through life, the more I realize that I do things the same way she does,” Siegert said. “I love the way she loves. Think the way she thinks. I’m constantly calling her asking for advice about tiny details and/or major life-changing events.”

Growing up, Siegert also looked up to her cross country and basketball coach, Courtney Sims.

“I knew at a young age that I wanted to be a coach, and I loved how Coach Sims ran her programs,” Siegert said. “I loved her discipline and her effort that she put towards her programs. I also loved how she built relationships with myself and the other athletes at our school.”

English teacher Nathaniel Brayton said his wife, English teacher Alison Brayton, is the most influential woman in his life.

“She keeps me accountable for many things that I should be able to do as an adult,” Brayton said. “She’s also my moral compass; she has the kindest soul, which makes it easy to be a good person.”

Geometry teacher Patricia Bird said she has looked up to her mom throughout all her childhood difficulties.

“She was a hard worker, and she never complained,” Bird said. “My mom did everything she could to provide for us and keep us safe.”

Plummer said she is proud to be a woman because of how smart women are.

I’ve never met a woman that hasn’t been able to achieve what they want in life, even if it seems like the world is against them,” Plummer said. “There’s a lot of power (mainly brain power) that comes with being a woman and it’s just astonishing seeing how much we can do.”