Cross Country Welcomes New Coach

Brianna Miller, Social Media Editor

Sophomore Wilson Hammond runs during cross country practice before school.

Brianna Miller, Social Media Editor

Since 2018, the cross country team has had three different coaches. Coach James Allison followed by coach Kiff Weimers. Now IPC teacher Macey Siegert has taken the position. 

“So far I think it’s been really really good,” Siegert said. “I’ve been fortunate with the kids that I have. I think it’s a good group of kids. They make it fun and exciting and I look forward to going and hanging out with them everyday.”

So far, the team has competed in Temple, Belton, Brownwood and McGregor. At each race, a handful of athletes have medaled and at each race individual times have improved. 

This year, both boys and girls teams hope to make it to regionals. Additionally, the boys have had their largest team since 2018.

“I feel really good about this season, this far,” assistant cross country coach Aaron Nuckles said. “I really like how everyone is getting to practice and getting solid work every day. The work ethic has really increased this season.”

The team will  race at Salado Friday, where they hope to place as a team. In the past, Salado was one of Lampasas’s biggest competitors. Even though they aren’t in the same district anymore, running against them will be a good preview for districts.

“Coach Siegert has pushed us so hard and has been there every step of the way,” cross country manager Hailey-Brianna Bull said. “She hasn’t set unrealistic goals for us to meet and understands that our team may struggle sometimes, but I think she is the perfect type of coach for a cross country team.”