Missing Class For Missing Class

OPINION: Administrators Should Not Pull Students From Core Classes To Discuss Attendance

Students+are+required+to+drop+off+a+parent+or+medical+note.+Even+with+a+note+students+are+still+pulled+from+class+to+explain+why+they+were+absent.+

Lexi Moreland

Students are required to drop off a parent or medical note. Even with a note students are still pulled from class to explain why they were absent.

Lexi Moreland, Online Editor

This year school administrators began pulling students out of classes to discuss any form of absence. Students who have already missed a class or multiple classes are trying to catch up. Instead of focusing on school work, they are being interrupted or pulled out of class discussions  to go talk to the assistant principals about why they were absent or what they need to do about the absence. 

Not only does this disrupt the students’ learning environment, but it interrupts teachers’ lessons. When students are pulled out during a teacher’s lecture, the optics are that the school’s attendance percentage is more important than the student’s actual education. 

Because schools are funded by student attendance, this also creates a controversial argument about whether the school cares more about education or about how much money they make for students being present in school. 

It is important to know that the administration puts a lot of attention and care into the school. They are persistent in recognizing clubs, organizations and building relationships with students and staff. However, the path they are taking on attendance is questionable. 

A student’s presence in class is important all around. Education should be an important factor in everyone’s lives. When it comes time to discuss a student’s attendance, there are other ways to achieve this. Periods such as academic or lunch are a better option so students don’t miss lessons. Elective classes could also be a better time than core classes to call students out to discuss absences. 

Students and staff are appreciated at the school. Therefore, the best actions should be taken to show everyone how important they are.