Several Surrounding Districts Close Due To COVID-19; LHS Remains Open Without Mask Mandate

Senior+Clayton+Engdahl+removes+his+mask+in+school+because+they+are+not+required.+

Bryce Elders, Reporter

Senior Clayton Engdahl removes his mask in school because they are not required.

Bryce Elders, Reporter

Face masks are not required this year like they were for the full 2020-2021 school year. Masks are still allowed, however it is now left up to the individual whether or not they want to wear one.

While it’s wonderful to have the bottom part of my face open to the world again, I am still a little worried about the remaining cases and the increasing number of variants so I do still wear it on occasion to show my apprehension.

— Junior Ella Hairston

At least 7 school districts in Central Texas  have closed or partially closed due to a rise in COVID-19 cases since school started. 

LHS is not currently under threat of closing, however it still may not be out of the question entirely.

Currently, LHS has no plans to close,” Principal Joey McQueen said. “We take advice from our upper administration, and they have not given us any guidance that we might close.”

The ability to recognize each other by face and not by hairstyle or clothing alone is something that some students are still getting used to again after an entire year of mandated masks. Senior Clayton Engdahl said it’s refreshing not to have to wear a mask. 

“I like being able to see the wonderful faces of my friends in their full beauty,” Engdahl said.

Junior Ella Hairston said it is wonderful to be able to see faces again, although people not wearing masks makes her nervous too.

“While it’s wonderful to have the bottom part of my face open to the world again, I am still a little worried about the remaining cases and the increasing number of variants so I do still wear it on occasion to show my apprehension,” she said. 

Awareness of the surging cases of the COVID-19 virus in the form of new variants has been raised and the possibility of having to return to quarantine is a creeping concern in the back of most students minds. 

Upper administration has not announced whether or not the school will return to quarantine if a resurgence of the COVID-19 virus were to break out again. They also have not stated the amount of positive cases that might cause a school closure or reinstated mask mandate. 

“I would hope that the school would quarantine students again even if we didn’t like it,” senior Larissa Sneed said. “It would be necessary for our health and for the health of our families and friends.”