Juniors, Seniors Learn To Set Boundaries At Assembly

Lexi Moreland, Online Editor

Toxic relationship specialist Matthew Phifer speaks at the assembly for juniors and seniors about setting boundaries April 20.

Lexi Moreland, Online Editor

Toxic relationship specialist Matthew Phifer spoke at an assembly for juniors and seniors about setting boundaries April 20. Girls attended the assembly in the morning, and  boys attended the assembly in the afternoon. 

¨The boys and girls were separated because they were given a little different message,¨ assistant principal Paul Weinheimer said. ¨Phifer used different examples to get the message across that would resonate better with the two separated.¨

Spanish teacher Elma Garnett came up with the idea for the assembly after listening to Phifer´s podcast. Her initial idea was to only have the girls listen to his speech, but principal Joey McQueen said it would also benefit the boys. 

¨It’s good to know how to set boundaries earlier in life rather than later like me,¨ Garnett said. ¨I want the students to know it is ok to say no, to love themselves and know their self worth.¨  

The main idea of this assembly was to help students better understand how to set their boundaries about what they are comfortable with. Phifer also talked about how important it is to be able to say no and see people’s true intentions. 

¨I think it’s a message our students need to hear,¨ Weinheimer said. ¨I truly hope they got something out of it.¨

The assembly sparked conversations in the school and made students analyze how this affects them. 

¨I realized I let people walk all over me and take advantage of how nice I am,¨ senior Brandi Straley said. ¨I am a people pleaser and maybe I can take some of this information and use it in my life to make myself happier.¨