Courtesy of Alison Brayton

NHS To Formally Induct 2020, 2021 New Members Wednesday

April 26, 2021

The National Honor Society formal induction will be in the Cafetorium on Wednesday at 6 p.m. for sophomores, juniors and some seniors. 

Current juniors were supposed to be inducted their sophomore year, but due to COVID restrictions, the ceremony was postponed.

“Since the governor of Texas shut down all schools and extracurricular activities last year due to the pandemic, Mrs. Bobo and I had to postpone the NHS Induction ceremony,” NHS sponsor Alison Brayton said.

Current NHS members also missed out on participating in community service due to restrictions.

“I really missed out as president on helping and leading fellow members with service projects and different school activities,” NHS president Saydie Smith said. “Being involved in the community- events in town, and school events, where leaders from organizations get together weren’t able to happen this year because of COVID. We were restricted on our induction last year, and as a new president this year, I still haven’t been inducted.

Although the ceremony was recently approved, Smith and fellow NHS members haven’t experienced time spent together.

“I feel like I never got to participate in anything,” Smith said. “It honestly sucked, and I hated that we couldn’t do anything for the NHS, not even service hours. I know these changes benefited people’s health, but they also cut back on the progress of NHS doing service in the community.”

The NHS still managed to find some ways for members to be involved.

“Even though community service hours were made optional this year, we still encouraged students to volunteer at certain functions that needed help if they felt comfortable doing so,” Brayton said. “We also tried to have a bit of normalcy by still holding meetings and electing officers like we do every other year.”

NHS sponsor Sandra Bobo and Brayton are planning on bringing back community service hours for next year’s members.

“Originally, last year’s NHS officers voted to increase the required number of community service hours from 6 hours a semester to 20,” Brayton said. “Since we did not implement that this year, we are hoping to be able to do so next year. So many of our members volunteer in so many different ways, and we want to make sure helping others remains a big focus of the organization in the future.”