Administration Plans For Traditional Graduation At Badger Stadium

Seniors+have+received+their+caps+and+gowns+for+graduation+at+Badger+Stadium.+

Chris Ybarra, Editor-In-Chief

Seniors have received their caps and gowns for graduation at Badger Stadium.

Lexi Moreland, Online Editor

Administration plans to hold the 2021 graduation at Badger Stadium, returning back to the tradition, after 2020’s drive-up graduation required maintaining distance and minimum contact due to COVID-19.

“The decision to have graduation as Badger Stadium has been an ongoing discussion for many months,” superintendent Chane Rascoe said. “Since our guidance from our governor, TEA and the CDC have allowed more flexibility recently. We are excited to have a traditional graduation ceremony this year.”

According to principal Joey McQueen, the decision is still fluid due to the unknown in the future. Whether there will be a mask mandate or a stadium limit is still undecided. 

We are excited to have a traditional graduation ceremony this year.

— superintendant Chance Rascoe

“Personally, I want our normal traditional graduation for our seniors and parents,” McQueen said. “But if we must do something different as we did last year, we will work hard to make it special for our seniors.”

Rascoe’s son, Ethan Rascoe, graduated in 2020 through the drive-up graduation. 

“It was very hard,”  Dr. Rascoe said.  “Ethan had always wanted me to award him his diploma in a full graduation ceremony since he was very young.”

Rascoe’s experience motivated him to push for a traditional graduation ceremony to take place for this year’s seniors. 

“I am excited about having a traditional graduation ceremony,” senior Socoya Summers said. “This is my last year of high school. I want it to be special, and even though I feel bad for last year’s seniors, I hope we are lucky.”

Senior Anaya Yancy is also excited about Project Graduation after the ceremony.

“At first I didn’t want to go to Project Grad,” Yancy said. “But once I really realized how amazing of an opportunity all of this is, I am planning on attending. I truly hope everything is a special memory.”