One Act Play To Compete In Regional Competition

Senior+Makayla+Osburn+recites+a+monologue+as+her+character+Lillian+in+the+One+Act+Play+Saint+Frances+of+Hollywood.+

Lydia Breuer, Photo Editor

Senior Makayla Osburn recites a monologue as her character Lillian in the One Act Play Saint Frances of Hollywood.

Bryce Elders, Reporter

The Lampasas Theatre Company traveled to Graham to perform their show for the One Act Play judges and 5 other schools March 24. Sophomore Ella Hairston won an award for her lights and the show placed 2nd in the competition and will head to Lubbock for the Regional competition April 13. 

“I felt we did well, even if there were some slight technical difficulties during the show,” senior Cole Wheeler said . “All we need to do now is keep our heads in check and hunker down to do some real fine polish and work on our performance.”

Rehearsals and clinics will pick up in intensity as the contest comes ever closer. Before the competition, the company will set up in a hotel room and be required to be in make-up and ready to perform while they do the usual rehearsal routine which is different from the two previous competitions because there is no wait time between rehearsal and the performance for judges. 

“I’m really pumped to be able to go to Region,” senior Makayla Osburn said. “I’ve been in this company for a few years now and this is a new experience for even the seniors.”

Lampasas will be the sixth of eight schools to perform in the contest and will leave for Lubbock April 12 to perform the following day. Awards will be presented through Zoom and not in person due to COVID-19 restrictions. 

“Though it may not be the exact conditions we had hoped for, it’s still a very big step in our theatre journey together,” senior Julia Hairston said.