Wrestling Season Starts After Five Month Delay

Senior+Mia+Martell+and+head+wrestling+coach+Elma+Garnett+play+a+wrestling+game+at+the+first+practice+of+the+season+Jan.+19.+

Brianna Miller, Reporter

Senior Mia Martell and head wrestling coach Elma Garnett play a wrestling game at the first practice of the season Jan. 19.

Brianna Miller, Reporter

With all the worry about COVID-19, many entered the school year uncertain about what could happen. Sports especially, had to make certain sacrifices. After being delayed by five months, wrestling was able to start their season Jan.19.

The wrestling team began the school year working out after school three days a week. UIL prohibited wrestling on the mat until a proper date was decided. After weeks of speculation, UIL decided that the season will officially start the first of March, with district matches starting in April.

“I feel great and glad that I will be able to wrestle this year, even though it is a shorter year,” junior Jacob Miller said.

Because of the new protocols, wrestlers will not be able to shake each other’s hands or the other coaches hands. The season will consist of duals, tris, and quads. There will be only three tournaments: district, regionals, and state. Wrestlers will only be able to progress to the next tournament if they place in the top two in the tournament.

“I think it’s going to be stressful on one hand due to the season getting cut short,” sophomore Taylyn Smith said. “On the other hand, I’m glad we have a season.”

Instead of practicing in the weight room, the wrestling team changed their location to the old middle school gym, where they will practice for the rest of the season. There the team has more space to learn and improve on their sport.

I expect for our wrestlers to have a good time and enjoy the season,” head coach Elma Garnett  said. “This year has been tough, and I want them to be able to enjoy their season, their time!”