A+Lampasas+County+Stock+Show+Judge+inspects+the+chickens+of++2020+graduate+Robert+LaMountain%2C+senior+Emma+Jones+and+junior+Abriana+Flores.+

Chris Ybarra, Editor-In-Chief

A Lampasas County Stock Show Judge inspects the chickens of 2020 graduate Robert LaMountain, senior Emma Jones and junior Abriana Flores.

Lampasas County Stock Show Proceeds With New COVID Restrictions

January 19, 2021

The Lampasas County Stock Show was held Jan. 7 – 9  despite COVID-19 restrictions.

“I showed rabbits for a girl who tested positive for COVID and couldn’t come show herself,” junior Karli Robertson said. “Her rabbits got champion.”

Due to COVID-19, there were less showings than past stock shows. In fact, Lampasas County was one of the only counties not to cancel the show.

“COVID definitely impacted the stock show,” Robertson said. “There were only 10 exhibitors in the rabbit show, whereas in past years there have been around 30-40 exhibitors. There were less exhibitors and animals total for every category except ag-mech projects.”

Special arrangements were made to ensure that students who were incapable of attending could still be a part of the show and place.

“We had a couple of students who were unable to show due to COVID,” agriculture teacher Judy Hail said. “Students notified advisors who assisted in finding a solution, and we informed the board of directors.”

Many traditional rules of the stock show had to be changed for this year’s show to ensure safe social distancing.

“Of course, face masks were required,” Hail said. “As for the sales, tables were safely distanced from each other and exhibitors only went through the sale ring, no animals.”

Despite these restrictions, the show was successful with several students receiving final placings for their animals.

“It ran quite smoothly,” Hail said. “ It puts more work on the student making him/her be responsible for the new rules, times, weights, classification, etc. It provided learning experiences, and we saw many exhibitors helping one another.”