High School Expunges Paper Packets For Asynchronous Students

Lexi Moreland, Online Editor

On-paper asynchronous students turned their work packets in to the office to wait in the returned student packet box until teachers picked them up. Beginning next week, this option will no longer be available.

Lexi Moreland, Online Editor

The on-paper option for asynchronous learners will no longer be available for the second nine weeks after administrators and teachers made their final decision. As of Oct. 13, students at home will be 100% online.

“The initial requirements of turning in the paperwork the day it was due was not being followed,” U.S. history teacher Danelle Ecker said. “Therefore students’ were being counted absent every day.”

If the student does not have reliable internet or internet access at all, they must return to in-person school.

“Students would wait until they completed the entire work packet to turn it in, giving the teachers more work if turned in on Friday or more work throughout the week if turned in on Monday,” Ecker said. “There was no credibility on the side of the student.”

Teachers needed to repare the entire paper-packet at the beginning of the week to give to the students who needed them. Every assignment for the week had to be ready and printed out and organized to be accessible for the student.

“If my students’ were doing research on something, I would have to find an alternative assignment or do the research for them and print out the pages,” Ecker said.

Taking away the paper option for asynchronous students also cuts down on unnecessary paper use throughout the week. Principal Joey McQueen said there are also ways for students to access internet sources if they don’t have it at home.

“A student, at any time, can access the internet by going to any LISD campus and receive wifi,” McQueen said.

The administration is also asking students to return who have a large number of absences online and who are failing their classes.

“​At this time we are only asking seniors, juniors and sophomores to come back to school under the [specified] criteria,” McQueen said. “We could require freshmen during the next semester.”