Texas Re-Opens Some Non-Essential Businesses Today

May 1, 2020

Over the past two months, everyday life for not only students in the town but everyone around the world has been put to a halt.

Some non-essential businesses like retail stores, restaurants, movie theaters and malls partially re-opened today under new rules per Governor Greg Abbott. 

“I am excited that things are starting to open back up,”  sophomore Lizzie Bennett said. “I just turned 16 and want to be able to get my license.”

Superintendent Chane Rascoe emailed LISD recipients March 16 that schools would remain closed through at least March 29. 

Students began learning remotely through Canvas and/or picking up printed assignments as Governor Abbott extended all Texas schools to remain closed through April 3.

“My mom wants me to make a schedule for everyday so I can keep structure in all of this,” Bennett said. “She said she has read the one thing you need to keep through this virus is some type of daily activities.”

Lampasas County issued a shelter in place order March 23, and April 2 the first COVID-19 case was announced in the area. 

LISD continued remote learning as March 31 Abbott announced all schools would remain closed through May 4. 

“I feel like life as everyone knows it has been put on pause,” sophomore Maci Jones said. “Except time is still going without us. I can’t imagine what the seniors feel like.”

Then, April 17 Abbott announced school buildings would not reopen this school year.

Throughout this time, essential workers have been required to wear masks for their jobs, most businesses have shut down and people are losing money. 

“They are finally reopening restaurants and state parks,” sophomore April Smith said. “Though restaurants are only filling to 25% capacity and you must wear a mask at state parks.”

Neighboring county, Coryell County, stated in their “Disaster Declaration #2” that non-residents should not enter the country unless they have an emergency or are essential workers there. 

“I wanted to go to HEB to get sushi, and I normally go to Copperas Cove because Lampasas doesn’t sell it, and I had to go all the way to Marble Falls,” junior Brandi Straley said. “I didn’t want to get pulled over and get a fine like they were saying they would do.”