Blind Date with a Book

Library Offers Prizes For Trying New Stories

February 6, 2020

Assistant+librarian+Sarah+Cimino+holds+one+of+the+wrapped+books+for+Blind+Date+with+a+Book.+Student+library+aides+wrapped+and+decorated+the+books+and+created+the+sign.++

Brooke Miller, Reporter

Assistant librarian Sarah Cimino holds one of the wrapped books for “Blind Date with a Book.” Student library aides wrapped and decorated the books and created the sign.

Jan. 21 – Feb. 28 the library is teaching students to not judge a book by its cover, literally. 

Students can select a book and go on a “Blind Date with a Book” to possibly win a prize once they finish reading.

“The whole point is to give you an opportunity to choose a book that you might not otherwise pick, so we wrap up the cover, give some clues or teasers on the front, and if it looks interesting to you, then you decide to read it,” assistant librarian Sarah Cimino said.

Students select a book from a table the librarians set up and try to read the first thirty pages. If the students does not like it, they may return the book and try a different one, and if they like it, finish it.

“I love reading and this was a good way to get a book without judging it based on its genre,” junior Jenesis Sanchez said.

When a students completes a book, they can discuss it with one of the librarians (Mrs. Null, Mrs. Cimino or Ms. Myers) and then turn it in. Then their name will be put into a drawing for a chance to win a prize.

“We are always on the lookout for new ideas, so we trolled the internet just like everyone else does and saw this idea and thought it would work very well here,” Cimino said.

Prizes include, but are not limited to Barnes and Noble gift cards, GooglePlay and/or iTunes gift cards, and prizes from Storm’s Drive-In. 

“I’ve read about 4 of the Blind Date books, and I’ve surprisingly liked almost all of them,” Sanchez said.