NHS+member+Gracie+Greer+reads+candidates+written+responses+in+order+to+vote+for+officer+positions+during+the+NHS+meeting+last+week.+

Chris Ybarra, Editor-In-Chief

NHS member Gracie Greer reads candidates’ written responses in order to vote for officer positions during the NHS meeting last week.

NHS Elects Officers

September 16, 2019

NHS (National Honor Society) officers were selected in a ballot last week by the NHS members. The selected officers are: Project Chair Mallory Fitzner, Historian Angelina Smith, Secretary Franchesca Vasquez, Vice President Lexi Poole and President Megan Bobo.

“If someone wants to become an NHS officer, they merely have to submit a paragraph to myself and Ms. Bobo answering the following prompt,” NHS Adviser Alison Brayton said. “Why do you want to be an NHS officer? What would that mean to you? How would you help the organization or the community? Then, we combine every submission onto a ballot and delete the name of each person who wrote the paragraph. That way, people can vote for whichever paragraph sounds best.”

Each submission is judged by the NHS as a whole, which in turn appoints candidates to a certain position, whether it be president, vice president, historian etc.

“I’m super excited to represent the organization as an officer again,” Vice President  Lexi Poole said. “I just hope I can fulfill last year’s VP’s (Vice President’s) shoes as well.” 

The NHS officers also lead the organization in their meetings and any public events or charities that the group helps with. 

The officers help the advisers with all NHS meetings by getting together ahead of time to plan and prepare,” Brayton said. “At least one officer is expected to be at major school/town service events , like Art in the Park for instance. The officers conduct the NHS induction of all new members in the spring, and the officers help in deciding what major service project NHS will assist in or conduct each year. For example, last year NHS helped with the Student Council Christmas Party for the community.”

The National Honor Society’s officers play a key role in leading the organization in the many events that they hold as they give back to the community.

“I hope we can work together more for our community and less for our own needs,” Poole said. “I think this society is about duality and not individuality.”