Cross Country Teams Get Head Start On Next Season

Chris Ybarra, Photo Editor

As this school year ends, preparations for next year also begin. A cross-country meeting was held on May 14 to get a head start on next year’s cross-country program.

“I’m excited about the season,” cross-country coach James Allison said. “Next year, I’m anticipating our girls and boys varsity teams both making it to regionals and having a successful year with our JV teams.  I’m also hopeful that one of our teams will beat Liberty Hill next year.”

Being put on varsity was nerve-wracking, considering I’ve never ran before. I can’t lie, it was hard, and it always will be, but I was surrounded by amazing runners, which I call my family.

— freshman Caitlyn Townsend

As summer vacation begins, preparations and training for the upcoming season will also begin for runners.

All the runners will be given a workout calendar for the months of June and July,” Allison said. “I am also hopeful that many of the runners will run in the Spring Ho 5K here in town on July 13th.  Then we will start official practice with everyone on August 5th.”

The beginning of next year’s season will welcome returning runners, as well as incoming freshmen and newcomers.

“I’m extremely nervous and excited for next season of cross country,” freshman Caitlyn Townsend said. “My first year was magnificent, and I had never done cross country before, but it feels natural to run. I love it, it’s my passion, it’s how I get going through the rest of my day. Being put on varsity was nerve-wracking, considering I’ve never ran before. I can’t lie, it was hard, and it always will be, but I was surrounded by amazing runners, which I call my family.”

As the school year comes to an end, graduating seniors will leave behind open spots ready to be filled.

“The girls side will be just fine, as we will still have six varsity girls returning with varsity running experience,” Allison said. “The boys will be looking to fill in for five missing seniors.  We will have only two boys with much varsity experience returning for next season. So, we will be looking to add some new and younger faces on the boys team.”