Color Guard Wins State

The+color+guard+celebrates++after+their+state+championship+performance+on+March+30.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Color Guard Wins State

The color guard celebrates  after their state championship performance on March 30.

The color guard celebrates after their state championship performance on March 30.

courtesy of Twitter

courtesy of Twitter

courtesy of Twitter

Isabel Rafael, Reporter

The color guard team competed against 17 different schools in College Station on March 30 and placed first at the State Championship. Their show was called Plucked, and the team performed to the song “Escape Artist” where they represented musical notes.

Bonnie Oreka, Band and Color Guard Director, has been directing the color guard for three years  along with co-director Jessie Arballay. The team has been preparing since November, choosing the song and choreographing the dance to be performed at state.

“It was just forward progress from last year since we didn’t advance, it was more about enjoying the performance and making sure the judges liked it as well,” Oreka said. “Sometimes there will be drops and mistakes, but the kids really have to keep in mind that there will always be mistakes, but as long as we progress from it and keep working harder I knew we were going to make an impact at state this year.”

Senior Joy Melder has been part of the color guard team since her freshman year. She said winning  state has been a great experience with such a great team.

“We were ecstatic, but we knew instantly that we were going to win,” Melder said. “The challenges that are thrown at us really test our abilities and I really think that’s something that pushed us to our greatest potential not only as individuals but as a team.”

Sophomore Cayson Kirkpatrick has been on the team for two years. She said she has enjoyed every aspect of it.

“When I first joined color guard we all started off as friends, but eventually we got really close with each other that we become like family,” Kirkpatrick said. “We all spend a lot of time together and that really brings us together, so it’s pretty great knowing that we won state not just as teammates but as a family.”