Badger Track Competes at District Meet

Senior Gio Bienbenu jumps across the long jump pit.

Chris Ybarra, Photo Editor

The Badger track team is competing in the district track meet today in Taylor. 

They competed at the Burnet Bulldog Relays on March 21. The varsity boys won overall with a final score of 168 and the varsity girls lost in Burnet. Both JV boys and girls placed second with scores of 210 and 154 at that meet. 

“The track season has been very good so far,” head coach Ruben Guerrero said. “The varsity boys 4×200 set a new school record this year. Right now we are working on getting our times down.”

Both varsity and JV placed in multiple events at the Burnet meet. In an only four-school track meet, the Badgers were able to get a feel of what to expect at the upcoming district meet on April 3-4.

“The JV relay team is doing very good this year,” sophomore Kailey O’Donnell. “The varsity are also doing good considering the amount of girls available. My track season isn’t as good as I hoped it’d be, but I’m doing food for starting late. I think the sprinters need to do more difficult workouts in order to increase our times as a faster rate. I’m hoping to help the relay teams place better by not only improving my times, but also pushing and supporting the girls to do better as a whole.”

The relay teams also placed high. Although the varsity girls lost in the relays, the varsity boys placed first in all three relays.

“The relays are doing very well, we need some improvement though,” senior Thomas Cavalieri said. “We need to work on improving our handoffs so we can shorten the time. I personally need to get my injuries under control and work on handoffs and block starts to cut time in the relays. Our overall goal this season is to beat Johnny Lam Jones’ 4×400 record in his honor. He told us he wanted us to do it for him, so now it’s more than just a record. It’s personal.”