Library Fine Forgiveness Days

Nonperishable Items To Replace Late Fees April 23-30

Assistant+librarian+Sarah+Cimino+receives+a+late+book+from+sophomore+Aiden+Freas.+

Tyler Garcia, Reporter

Assistant librarian Sarah Cimino receives a late book from sophomore Aiden Freas.

Tyler Garcia, Reporter

The library will take non-perishable items, such as toothpaste and canned foods, in exchange for late book fees in an event called ‘Fine for Forgiveness Days.’ Students must bring these items from April 23 to April 30 if they do not want to pay for their fines with money. All donations will be sent to the Lampasas mission.

“A lot of libraries, whether it’s school or public, do canned foods and other stuff for late book fines,” Librarian Shelly Meyers said. “It was my idea to start the Fine Forgiveness Days here at our high school because so many of our students have late fees. I believe this will definitely help the community because there are people who are in need in town, and this is just another way for people to help, and of course get rid of their fines.”

‘Fines for Forgiveness Days’ involves more people than just the librarians. Key Club members, and their sponsors, will also help sort books and eliminate fines.

“Key Club members are going to volunteer their time to work in the Library and help our librarians out,” Key Club Sponsor Sandra Bobo said. “They’re there to help get books back and make lists of people who have exchanged items and book for their late fees. I really think that this is a great opportunity for key club to help with something, especially with getting our school’s books back at the end of the year.”

Vice President of Key Club Kirsten Richards will be one of the members helping the librarians during the week of the exchanges.

“I am very excited about what our library is doing for the late book fees,” Richards said. “It gives us students the perfect chance to give back to the community while benefiting all of us with any late fees. It’s great to see the high school working with our local mission to help the people in need. It’s a win win situation that really makes a difference in our town.”