OAP Places 5th at Bi-District Competition

Daunte Cuffie, Reporter

Still Life of Iris cast members recruit new theatre students at activity night for incoming freshmen.

Madyson Edgar, Reporter

Lampasas High School Advanced Theatre performed Still Life of Iris for their One Act Play this year. At the district competition, Julia Hairston received the award for All Star Technician; Kenzie Peacock, Mac McLendon, and Cole Wheeler received the award for All Star Cast.

At Bi-district, Katherine Hansen received All Star Technician; Kenzie Peacock and Colten Webb received Honorable Mention All Star Cast; and Mac McLendon and Cole Wheeler received All Star Cast.

The One Act Play won first place at the district level, advancing the cast to the bi-district level. They did not advance from bi-district.

“At our last competition in Liberty Hill we ended up placing fifth,” senior Kenzie Peacock said. “And we officially performed the play for the last time here at the high school, for the public on March 24.”

Still Life with Iris is a fantastical adventure which centers on a little girl’s search for the simplest of things, a home. Iris lives with her mom in the land of Nocturno, a magical place in which the workers make, by night, all of the things we see in the world by day.

“We started working on Still Life of Iris at the end of October,” Peacock said. “As soon as we finished The Little Mermaid, we instantly got busy with One Act.”

The play was thirty-nine minutes and thirty seconds long. And by UIL requirements the plays can be no longer than 40 minutes.

“What I loved most about this play was the fact that is was chosen by the actors, they decided that this was the play they were meant to do,” Theatre teacher Greta Peterson said. “I’ve never seen a group work so hard to make their dream come true. Their costumes were a work of art.”

Peterson has been teaching theatre for 22 years, and this is her second year at Lampasas.

“The cast did very well this year,” Peterson said. “I think that it gave the underclassmen a starting point to get ready for next year. They know what is expected of them and what they need to do to advance. Discipline is always a big undertaking. You have to have the drive to take a show in January, keep it fresh for several months and then move it to the next level with each competition. I think they did a good job with that this year. Next year the younger actors will see it as a challenge to outdo the seniors of this year. It will be fun to watch.”