Sophomore Powerlifter Returns to State for Second Consecutive Year

Janice Hanson, Online Editor

The activities complex smells of sweat, rust and chalk: the signs of a powerlifting meet. Girls in knee wraps waddle up to the platform to complete their next lift. This year sophomore Alyssa “Issa” Ayers was the only member of the girl’s powerlifting team to attend the state meet in Waco. She placed 3rd.

Ayers’ interest in powerlifting took off in middle school.

¨My older brother was an accomplished powerlifter,” Ayers said. “His dedication to the sport got me very interested in lifting.”

The sophomore lifter has attended the Texas High School Women’s Powerlifting Association (THSWPA) state meet in the 114 lb weight class two years in a row.

“Being 3rd in the state is a great accomplishment,” Ayers said. “Although my placing makes me feel more motivated than ever.”

Brother Jason Ayers was a skilled high school powerlifter as well. He coaches his sister at home to keep her in shape and help her reach her goals.

“My sister started after middle school and I have helped her train ever since,” he said. “I push her to be the best she can be. Sometimes that means two hour practices and cutting weight, but at the end of the day, she loves competing and getting better.”

This season, Ayers brought home a first place medal and the best lightweight lifter at every other meet she went to.

“I have some definite goals for next year,” Ayers said. “My goals for next year are to increase all my lifts, break all the regional records for my weight class, and place higher at state.”