Lady Badgers Softball Sets District Goals

Austin Hilgenberg, Reporter

On the field, sweat dripping, repetition of drills throughout the day, and a fighting heart to win, the Lady Badgers softball begins district.

On Tuesday March 19, the girls played Liberty Hill in at home. The game was close going into the later innings, but a few errors allowed by the Lady Badgers gave liberty hill a 9-1 lead. The game ended with the ladies falling shy of a win  9-1.

“I was in a real serious game mode,” senior Collyn Schuricht said. “Liberty Hill is really good. They have a couple girls that can hit the ball hard and they play solid defense. We will play them again at their home field and we’ll get them there, just like last year.”

The Lady Badgers are 0-3 in district. They lost 12-6 to Salado,  9-1 to Liberty Hill and 10-0 to Taylor.

On Friday, March 22 the team traveled to Taylor. The Ducks got up on the girls early and held them to three hits. Through 6 innings the girls lost 10-0.

“Taylor is a good team,” freshman Mia Maldanado said. “They had a really good pitcher. Her rise-ball was getting the best of us. We play Burnet on the 26th. This is going to be a fun game because they’re our rivals.”

Collyn Schuricht and Cally Redding look to get mound time against Burnet.

“I like pitching,” senior Cally Redding said. “It’s nice to have the game in your hands.I am committed to Tarleton to pitch. I want to pitch against Burnet. They are our rivals and it would be a big win. We have not won a district game yet, but with a win against the Bulldogs, it will change our team’s momentum and help win more district games.”

The Lady Badgers play Burnet on Tuesday, March 26 at home, and then play Eastside Memorial on March 29.