Season “Lift” Off

Badgers Win First Powerlifting Meet

Sophomore+Owen+Seaver+warms+up+for+bench+press+at+the+Lampasas+powerlifting+meet+on++Jan.+17.+

Daunte Cuffie, Reporter

Sophomore Owen Seaver warms up for bench press at the Lampasas powerlifting meet on Jan. 17.

Daunte Cuffie, Reporter

Badger powerlifting season began on Jan. 17,  and the Badgers took first place in the home opening meet.

Sophomore Jack Jerome placed first in the 165 pounds weight class.

¨The first meet was really successful, and I am really excited to see what the rest of the season has in store for all of us,¨ Jerome said. ¨I just have to continue to lift heavy in practices in order to win for the remainder of the season.¨

Jerome is competing for his second year in varsity powerlifting.

¨Last year was really cool to go to Regionals and compete,¨ Jerome said. ¨My main goal this year is to compete in State and be a top contender.¨

Junior Kyle Arriola also placed first in the season opening meet.

¨This season is going to be great, and I am so proud of all of the guys who competed in the meet,¨ Arriola said. ¨I think as a whole we will have a really good year and if this team continues to work hard, then we will send a lot of guys to State.¨

Arriola is in his third year of powerlifting and he said that his main goal remains the same.

¨The plan has always been to go to State, and this year I am more confident than ever that I will make it,¨ Arriola said. ¨The competition out there is tough, but I believe in my abilities and know that if I want to make State, then I have to work harder than all of my opponents.¨

Sophomore Owen Seaver also competed in the opening meet and surprised himself with his lifts.

¨I really like powerlifting and think that I will get better and stronger as the season goes on,¨Seaver said. ¨I am younger than a lot of the guys that I am going against, but I will not let that stop me from going into each meet and competing with my best effort.¨

This is Seaver’s first season powerlifting.

¨I think as time goes on I will be a really big competitor,¨ Seaver said. ¨I will keep working hard and work to be successful.¨