Back for Moore

Senior returns to State cross country for third consecutive year

Janice Hanson, Assistant Online Editor

On Nov. 3, senior Taylor Moore ran at the UIL State cross country meet at Old Settler’s Park. This is her third consecutive year qualifying for state.

“It definitely took a lot of work to get to state this year,” Moore said. “I knew I needed to work extra hard since we had moved up into a tougher region. The team really helped to push me, and learn to pace myself for a change.”

Moore’s cross country coach, James Allison, guided her all four years of high school. He has been credited as a main factor in Moore’s growth as a runner.

“I am incredibly proud of Taylor and all she has accomplished in her four years as a varsity letterman,” Allison said. “She is a four year regional qualifier, three year state qualifier, the most decorated and successful runner I have had in the past six years, probably the most accomplished cross country runner LHS has in at least the past 10-20 years, and she probably set a 2 mile girls cross country record with her time of 11:40 in Corpus.”

Taylor’s times have varied slightly but her best time was an 11:40 two mile run at regionals where she placed 13th as a whole and 9th as an individual runner.

“Coach had us on the PAVO workout,” Moore said. “It really helps me to improve my speed work, and figure out how I can stay up with others.”

The PAVO method is a gradual build up workout with different paces and distances each day. The idea is to work up to longer distances and faster times as the season passes.

“I am really proud of how senior year went,” Moore said. “It’s my favorite and most successful season. I’m insanely proud of it. I don’t think I would have done anything differently. I wish it would last longer.”