CNA Class Travels To Nursing Home To Prepare For Future Careers

Students+in+Kerry+Hammets+CNA+class+practice+shaving+gently+on+balloons+before+visiting+Spring+Oaks+Nursing+Home+to+assist+residents.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Students in Kerry Hammets CNA class practice shaving gently on balloons before visiting Spring Oaks Nursing Home to assist residents.

Isabel Rafael, Reporter

Kerry Hammett’s CNA class went to the Spring Oaks Nursing Home to assist the residents that live there on Oct. 16. The CNA, Certified Nurse Aide, class is for students who are interested in working in the medical field. The students in this class get the training and basic information they need that they will later need in their careers.

During the recent trip the students made to the nursing home, they were  learning how to assist residents in feeding. On the next visit to the nursing home, the CNA class will check vital signs, blood pressure, respiration, temperature and pulse on the residents.

By December CNA students will build up 60 hours of classroom training and 40 hours of clinical training. Then the students are eligible to take the state exam to be qualified nurse aids.

“Whether the student wants to become a doctor, nurse, or whatever the case may be, this program and working as a CNA shows that they can work in the environment,” Hammett said. “The student will have more credibility to get into upper level programs which are very competitive to get into at college level.”

These students train in the classroom, then go to the nursing home and put their skills to the test. Hammet said working around the nursing home as a CNA makes the students more self sufficient and get the basic training they need.

Senior Josh Beebe traveled  with the CNA class to help the residents.

“So far we’ve just gone to the nursing home, “Beebe said. “It’s a great experience getting to help the residents. This class is something I really recommend, especially for students that want to get into the medical field. It’s a great way to get the training you need and is overall a great class.”