Bye Week Battles

Badgers Compete In Games During Academic Period

Tyler Garcia, Reporter

Sophomore Connor Castanova and Junior Dawson Raub wrestle over a ball while other competitors watch during the Bye-Week Battles.

Tyler Garcia, Reporter

During academic period throughout the first week of October, the Student Council held the “Bye Week Battles.” These “battles” were different kinds of races and games held in the gym throughout the week where students from each grade level represented and competed for their class.

It was really fun to compete against the other classes, compete for mine, and most definitely made the day more fun. I’m glad I was passing my classes.

— sophomore Gauge Gholson

Student council vice president Monica Garza hosted and coordinated the events with the help of others such as student council president Eric Flores.

“I think that it was such a great idea to come up with the bye week battles, and I hope that it can become a new tradition for the bye week every year,” Garza said. “My main goal is to get more students involved and excited to compete in the battles, and the more people to get involved, then the more fun and excitement we will have during the battles.”

Students could either participate in the events or sit in the gym bleachers and watch their peers compete. All students were allowed to participate that were passing their classes.

“I really enjoyed the bye week battles,” sophomore Gauge Gholson said. “Especially the one relay race which we ended up winning in. It was really fun to compete against the other classes, compete for mine, and most definitely made the day more fun. I’m glad I was passing my classes.”

Students who competed in these battles represented their class as other grade levels observed their moves and cheered on their peers who were competing against others.

Tyler Garcia, Reporter
Juniors Cameron Everts and Ethan Rascoe compete against seniors in the Bye-Week Battles.

“I thought it was really cool that student council decided to put on these bye week battles,” junior Jason Andrews said. “For the most part I just watched my friends go out and compete in the games and races, but I got to compete in one of the battles and it was a lot of fun. It was cool to go against all my senior friends and show them that my class, the class of 2020, is the best one there.”