LHS Welcomes New Assistant Principal

Mr. McQueen Goes From Teacher To Coach To AP In District He Loves

Austin Hilgenberg, Reporter

Walking down the halls, Joseph McQueen looks at students with pride and admiration. He is proud to return to the high school with a new position: assistant principal.

“I have been a coach, teacher, and now administrator,” McQueen said. “I have been working in the public school system now for 37 years. I was, at one point in my career at Lampasas, the athletic director and head football coach. I left Lampasas in 2012, but I am now back as an administrator.”

McQueen had a five year tenure at the school. He left in 2012 to pursue his dream as a college football coach.

“Me and my wife had a discussion once the job of being an assistant principal opened up. We came to the conclusion that we loved Lampasas and wanted to retire here. Then when I was offered the job, I knew that leaving [coaching] was a good choice.

McQueen was the athletic director when the new high school opened in 2009.

“The school has not changed much,” McQueen said. “I was here as an athletic director in 2009 and, to me, the school still looks beautiful for being nine years old, almost like a brand new school. The demographics are still pretty much the same as they were when I left. We are still as diverse as we were back then.”

McQueen hopes to make the students understand the rules and help them if they need anything.

“I always wanted to be an administrator,” McQueen said. “I always had the desire to help the students out. If they needed someone to talk to or wanted to learn from anything, I wanted to be the one who helped them out. If a student has good discipline and can follow rules, then that sets them up for success later on in life.”