Respecting Our Elders

Senior Night Honors Active Students

Katelyn Terry, Editor-In-Chief

As a start to the 2018-19 season, Badger Field held its annual senior night at the game versus Joshua High School last Friday. Seniors who are a member of the tunnel crew, cheerleading squad, football team, flames, and trainers were honored prior to the game along with their loved ones.

“[My parents] haven’t missed a single game in all my sports career, they’ve always been there to cheer me on,” senior and football player Dylan Kannan said. “They have taken me to practice early in the morning and picked me up late for after school practice…”

Kannan has played football for Lampasas since his freshman year. He was one of the starting defensive backs on Friday.

“I was just really excited [Friday] because it was the first game of the season,” Kannan said. “I never really thought about it being my first senior game.”

Another contributor to the team is senior Delaney Parrish, who has been a football trainer for four years.

“I have been a trainer for all my four years, and I have gained so much,” Parrish said. “So many friendships were made and the knowledge that I gained was that you have to be reliable and trustworthy.”

Parrish walked across the field on senior night accompanied by her parents.  

“On Friday it felt very good to have been honored,” Parrish said. “On those days it’s all about the boys on the field, but being separately acknowledged showed how much Lampasas actually appreciates us.”

Also honored at senior night was Natalie Denoso, who has been on the tunnel crew since her junior year.

“The difference between this year and last year on tunnel crew is crazy,” Denoso said. “I feel like I have more responsibilities as a senior, and I feel like I’m actually doing it out of my pride for our town and our football team more so this year than last.”

The event came unexpectedly quickly to Denoso and her fellow classmates.

“I never really thought I’d make it to senior year; it always seemed so out of reach and yet here we are,” Denoso said. “It’s nice being a part of such a close community to grow up and graduate with your best friend from kindergarten. Honestly, I can’t believe that after this year we’ll all be going our separate ways, but I’m thankful for the time we’ve had growing up together and I’ll always remember where I came from.”

The badgers were victorious in their game Friday, beating the Joshua owls 59-29.

“The win was great,” Kannan said. “I think it’s a start to a great season and I think it built the team’s confidence so we can keep that going. We’ve put in a lot of work to get that win so we deserved it.”