Prep for Pep Rally

Cheerleaders, band, color guard, Flames prepare for first pep rally

Students+will+dress+as+memes+and+Vines+for+the+social+media+themed+pep+rally+on+Aug.+31.+

Daunte Cuffie, Reporter

Students will dress as memes and Vines for the social media themed pep rally on Aug. 31.

Alexia Moreland, Reporter

Football season is starting and that means it’s pep rally season! For the first home varsity football game of the season, the first pep rally theme is Social Media. To go with the social media theme the cheerleaders got a “meme day” approved by Mr. White, so students can dress up as their favorite meme or Vine on Friday, Aug. 31.

Students must stay in dress code to participate in the dress up day.

Per pep rally, the cheer program changes everything from the themes, routines, and music used. This one was planned and set up by senior varsity cheer co-captain Tori Martinez.

“I thought of this idea because I wanted to choose a theme that the school would want to be more involved in, and I believe that memes are an undying trend,”  Martinez said.

Cheerleaders are especially excited about this pep rally, because it is the first one with the new team for the year.

“My favorite part of this pep rally is watching all of our team members become more comfortable with the material and start to show their personalities through their performance,” senior varsity cheer captain Melanie Burbey said.

To make a good performance for the student body, the cheerleaders have been preparing the routines and practicing every morning and Monday and Tuesday after school. Cheer coach Shannon Lindsey has the girls practicing until the routines look good and fun to watch.

“My favorite part of the pep rally is getting to witness the school and community come together and celebrate the Badgers!” Lindsey said.  

Pep rallies are usually run by cheerleaders, though many other programs such as band, color guard, and Flames are involved. These events are school wide to help pep up the students before the evening’s football game. The first pep rally is in the competition gym from 3:00-3:25pm and the football game is at 7:30 at Badger Stadium.