Opinion: Heed Health Officials’ Advice — Stay Home

Chris Ybarra, Editor-In-Chief

Eighth grade student Benjamin Ybarra wears a mask.Young people and old people alike need to take heed to health officials’ advice and just simply stay home, stay safe and help health care providers by slowing the spread.

Chris Ybarra, Editor-In-Chief

As the country is enveloped in a nation-wide pandemic, health officials have heavily advised three basic rules of thumb to combat the spread of COVID-19: wash hands frequently, avoid touching dirty surfaces and keep a social distance of six feet from others. 

Additionally, there is one other piece of advice that has been mandated by numerous government officials: groups of 10 or more individuals are prohibited. 

People must follow this mandate to stop the spread of COVID-19. 

For teens, this affects a variety of aspects in their lives, from how they worship, how they are able to interact with their friends, their school work, graduation, school-sponsored events and vacation plans. Despite these unfortunate circumstances, the reasoning behind these restrictions is for the sake of not only the nation’s, but the world’s health.

COVID-19 is considered a strain of SARS (severe acute respiratory syndrome), meaning it is highly infectious, spreading through droplets from an infected individual. These droplets can spread through an infected person’s cough or sneeze, and are most effective at spreading when in close proximity to others (less than six feet).

Despite this, many individuals have disregarded this practice, opting to “enjoy themselves,” especially during this year’s spring break. As the outbreak slowly gained traction and cases in the US began growing, thousands of spring breakers took to the beaches and “booze cruises” to live it up. 

In addition, a number of teens and adults have continued visiting parks, lakes and even retail stores that have remained open. Entire groups of people have been entering stores such as Walmart and HEB, which is not only unnecessary, as only one person per household should go in, but it also takes up space for others, as most stores have limited how many people can shop at a time.

This ignorance not only jeopardized the country’s mission to “flatten the curve,” but it has also endangered those who the teens came in contact with. Although young people may not be at a high risk when contracting the virus, they can put those who are vulnerable in danger by being asymptomatic hosts, meaning they show no symptoms but are infected.

In short, young people and old people alike need to take heed to health officials’ advice and just simply stay home, stay safe and help health care providers by slowing the spread.